FAQ (EUROPEAN LONG DISTANCE FOOTPATHS)

jcerni
Site Admin

FAQ (EUROPEAN LONG DISTANCE FOOTPATHS)

Post by jcerni »

Question 0:
Which mapes can I use for hikes along E6 and E7 Slovenia?
Answer 0:
If you want to buy the printed collection of topographic maps of Slovenia in the scale of 1: 50,000 , click on the below picture.

Here you can find PDF document which has in bookmarks signs which numbers of maps you can use for hikes along E7 and E6. The same you can see below. Here
you can find map Snežnik (same as number 12 in maps Kod&Kam in picture below). Here you can find map Slovenska Istra (Slovenska Istra, Brkini, Cicarija, Kras) (same as number 12 in maps Kod&Kam in picture below)

Image.
Some links for maps along E7 which are in prepare by Kod&Kam. We used Atlas Slovenia:

1. The map from Podčetrtek to Rogaška Slatina, you can find here.

2. The map from Rogaška Slatina to Podlehnik, you can find here.

3. The map from Podlehnik to near of Cirkulane, you can find here.

4. The map from Cirkulane to Formin, you can find here.

5. The map from Formin to Ljutomer, you can find here.

6. The map from Ljutomer to Moravske toplice, you can find here.

7. The map from Moravske toplice to Hodoš, you can find here.

Of course, you can also buy upper Kod&Kam maps as said if you click here. You can find them on the petrol station, shops etc. in Slovenia. All they have drawn the both European long distance footpaths in Slovenia: E6 and E7

TOPO Slovenia is topographic map designed for handheld GPS devices from Garmin Cartography. You can find also E6 and E7 in this electronic map. You can find it here.

GPS tracks you can get bellow. They were done with Adria Topo.

1. E6 GPS tracks Slovenia + Geopedia-electronic map

2. Track for E6 Slovenia by Erwin (GPX format made when he walked along E6)

3. E7 Slovenia GPS tracks + Geopedia-electronic map

Question 1:
Could you please send us an exemplar of this trail? Furthermore we would like to have an overview of accommodation and campsites along the trail.

Answer 1
You can find the overview of accommodation and campsites for E7 here and for E6 here .

Question 2: In the next summer my girlfriend and me want to walk along the long distance walking path E7 through Slovenia. At the moment I am looking for some further information. Do you know if there is a description of the single stages or of the whole path in German or English? Or maybe you know of some good walking maps on which the path is marked. I only got one from the tourist agency which is good for an overview but not for walking. Is the whole path well marked / signposted in Slovenia? Would it be possible to walk without a description?

What abaout wild camping in Slovenia. Is it possible to put up our tent where we want to?

You see, there are a lot of questions but we are keen on visiting your nice country. It would be very nice of you to let us know if you have some important information about E7 in Slovenia.

Answer 2: We don't have description for E7 in English language. We have a good book about E7 in Slovene language. You can use this map Slovenija turistični atlas where you can find the E7. You can read my blog where I describe my hike by E7 but in Slovene language. Here are basic date in English about E7 in Slovenia (where you can sleep, stages etc.).

Camping under the canvas in protected areas in Slovenia is not allowed. You will cross some of them when you will walk along E6 and E7 in Slovenia. In the most of the communes is not allowed too. However, it is possible to camping under the canvas for one night if you ask the owners of private lands. But you must know that some area have bears (from Vrhnika to Novo mesto).

The path is signed but in same places missing the sign so you can trouble. If you have a good guide and maps, you can solve these problems. But where is realy difficult to walk, of course you have these places, the path is good marked.

You must know that E7 are maked on the voluntary base, so it is not do so profesional. But you can walk on this path. I know that you and your girlfriend will find a lot of interesting things on the way. People on the way are very friendly and they love this path. I thing if you use the maps you can walk on this path.

Question 3: I saw you have a site that deals with the European Footpath. I have only just discovered these footpaths, but would love to try a bit of one, especially in Spain, Andorra, or Italy. Have you walked E7 in Spain or E4? Are there any marked paths or do you use maps?
Any information would be great. I'm a Brit, so if you can type in English I'll be very grateful (or Spanish or French would do!)

Answer 3: In Spain is the same as the famous path Camino Frances - Jakob route to Santiago. You can find the other data in book Auf Tour in Europa. Das Handbuch für die Europäischen Fernwanderwege (Taschenbuch). It is in german language but you can understand where the paths go and the other basic data about paths. Of course all European long distance footpaths are marked but some better and other worse. You need the maps too. If you have a trouble, you can solve with maps. I haven't walked E7 or E4 in Spain, Italy. I have walked E6 and E7 in Slovenia where I live. I have also walked E6 in Germany.

Question 4:
My plans by E6 Slovneia in October were to go to Ilirska Bistrica, but when I arrived in Stari Trg and there was no "turist hotel" (this is mentioned in “Ciglar’s Trail from the Drava to the Adriatic - The Hiker’s Guide“), I had to decide whether to return to Gostišče Mlakar or finish the tour.

Answer 4: You could sleep in gostišče Mlakar. Hotel in Stari trg is closed. But you read the Ciglar guide which has old data. We have a new guide which is only in Sloven language. So I suggest you that you use these web sites:
http://eupoti.com/eupath_e6_e7_slo/basi ... e6_slo.htm
http://eupoti.com/eupath_e6_e7_slo/basic_data_of_e7.htm

Question5: What is relief Slovene E6 and E7 long distance footpaths?
Answer5: The relief these 2 footpaths you can see below.

Question 6: How and where can I receive the booklets for the stamps for E6 and E7 in Slovenia? Maybe even that some hikers come to Slovenia would not know it at all but when they realize it during the tour it might be too late and they will very disappointed.

Answer 6: You can find the stamps for E6 Slovenia from Radelj border crossing to Strunjan and for E7 from Robič to Hodaš here. Stamps for E7 footpaths in Slovenia you can find also in book E7.
Beside all these up you can find the new control points for E6 here.

Question 7: It is possible to purchase old publications about E6 Ciglarjeva pod od Drave do Jadrana E6-SLO anywhere still today?

Answer 7: I saw this book in our bookshop in Kranj 4 months ago. I will ask someone where you can get this book. But this is old book. You have a translation of this book here . The mistake is that new book about E6 by Dario Cortese doesn't has stamps on the back side.

Question 8:I am going to walk the E6 footpath through Slovenia from Koper to Austria.
I would like a guide-book to the route and my information says there is one available in German or Slovenian from the Slovenian Alpine Club.
I would like the German edition, please could you tell me how I can buy it, or if I will be able to buy it in Koper when I start (on May 1st).
Also, is there a guide-book in English? For me that would be better.

Answer 8: E6 footpath goes above Koper and start or finish in Strunjan. You can go by bus from Koper to Strunjan. You can ask driver of bus where you must get off that you go to hotel Svoboda Strunjan. The footpath starts at hotel Svoboda Strunjan. It is about 10 km or 6,25 miles from Koper. You can read my blog about hiking round E6 here. If you want translate some words from Blog in English, you can use this web site. The last Guide about E6 in Slovenia doesn't exist in German or English language, only in Slovene language. You can look this guide here and also buy. You can find old guide about E6 in English here but you have to know that contents old data. It mean that some pubs or phone numbers etc. exist no any more. You can visit the web site which is edited by Kommission for European footpaths in Slovenia.

Question 9:
Are there bigger parts where the walking signs are missing?
Answer 9:
All footpath E7 is signed with marks. E7 mark is red cycle with yellow inside. Where is very difficult for orention there marks don't miss. On the rare parts somethings missing marks or they loss colour. Somethings it will be good if set up direction boards. If you lost the marks, than you must search them that you can walk forward

Question 10:
Are there far distances where it is difficult to get a good night sleep? We are happy with private rooms?

Answer 10:
You have private rooms, tourist farms, hotels etc. on the footpath. Maybe is good if you use my table for sleep. You can call them if they have free. Of course you have other bidders of rooms, food, drink etc. The one way is if you ask the people for advice. For example, you have a lot of private rooms in the tourist places as Dolenjske toplice, Podčetrtek, Moravske toplice. Some other places have private rooms but sometimes you must go from footpath few kilometers. Of course, you can get detail information about accomodation on E7 Slovenia by tourist information centers, from list of hotels and tourist farms in Slovenia here

Question 11:
I just finished getting all known places on route into my Garmin GPS, I am very happy with the TOPO Slovenija which helps very much. But as of Podcetrtek the E7 is no longer marked on the map, so for the last 100KM or so it is still open for me.
Answer 11:

1. The map from Podčetrtek to Rogaška Slatina, you can find here.

2. The map from Rogaška Slatina to Podlehnik, you can find here.

3. The map from Podlehnik to near of Cirkulane, you can find here.

4. The map from Cirkulane to Formin, you can find here.

5. The map from Formin to Ljutomer, you can find here.

6. The map from Ljutomer to Moravske toplice, you can find here.

7. The map from Moravske Toplice to Hodoš, you can find here.

Of course, you can also buy the maps Kod&Kam if you click here. You can find them on the petrol station, shops etc. in Slovenia. All they have drawn the both European long distance footpaths in Slovenia: E6 and E7

Question 12:
I have realized that on the TOPO Map, the part from Tolmin to Porezen, via Strzice and Petrovo Brdo is not marked with the E7, and I wonder whether the E7 follows the Slovenska Planinska Pot and or the Markirana Steza.....
Answer 12:
Here are the maps:
from Tolmin to Planina Razor, click here
from Planina Razor to Petrovo Brdo, click here

Question 13:
I’m interested to learn more about the hike, or parts of it. We are planning a hiking trip to Slovenia , together with our kid who is 3 years old and loves to hike. What I’m interested to know is whether there is a part of the hike (several days, up to 7) where we can spend the each night in a hut or a village, in away we won’t need to carry our own tent. We love the mountainous scenery and snow capped mountains. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Answer 13:
You can get the answer here.

Question 14:
We are highly interested in further informations as: train/bus-connections between Ilirska Bistrica and Masun, and between Strunjan/Koper/IlirskaBistrica etc.
Answer 14:
Please visit this website: http://www.ap-ljubljana.si/eng/index1.php where you can get information about bus connection in Slovenia.
Please visit this website: http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/en/inland_t ... th_prices/ where you can get information about train connection in Slovenia.

You must know that is not regular bus line from Ilirska Bistrica or Koper to Mašun (Mashun). You can go from München to Postojna by train. Than you go from Postojna to Knežak (Knezhak) by bus. You can go from Knežak to Mašun by taxi. Please call: Avto taxi Slavček (Slavchek), Samsa Slavko s.p. Šembilje 68, 6253 Knežak, 00386 41 508 469 or 041 508 469

Note: Please use for our villages, towns our special letters where it is need:

Symbol***English equivalent***Place***********Slovene letter
ch*******chilli**************Čatež***********č or Č
sh*******shot**************Šalavci**********š or Š
zh*******pleasure***********Žlebe***********ž or Ž

Slovene name******Read the symbols as if you were speaking English
Čatež*************Chatezh
Šalovci************Shalovci
Žlebe************* Zhlebe

Question 15:
I want to hike the E6, but not to Koper. I want to go the old way to Rijeka. My question: is it possible to cross the border to Croatia on the hiking path (of course with passport and without anything to declare) or do I have to use an official border crossing?
Answer 15:
You have to use an offical border crossing. It is possible that you ask near police station Ilirska Bistrica if they allowed you crossing border on hike trail E6 toward Rijeka.

Question 16:
Where is the end of E6 in Slovenia?
Answer 16:
Finish of E6 Slovenia is in Hotel Svoboda, Strunjan (nord of Adriatic see, Slovene country near of Koper). Look picture here.

Question 17:
Can you find us on the Facebook
Answer 17:
You can find us on the webaddress: http://goo.gl/qnBI5

Question 18:
Can you find us on the Twitter
Answer 18:
You can find us on the webaddress: http://goo.gl/FeVA9